Thursday, March 1, 2007

A different perspective

The nature of student teaching is to recognize your strengths and identify areas for improvement. Having others observe you help bring about these about. Over the past week, I was observed on three occasions by a professor here in Ghana. His feedback was very interesting and not exactly what I expected to here.

As I have noted earlier in my observations, schools and teaching here are definitely different than back in the U.S. so I guess I should have anticipated that some of his comments would sound a little weird to me. A few of his comments for areas for improvement include not putting my pen behind my ear while teaching because it can be intimidating to students, to erase my writing on the chalk board an eraser instead of with my hand, and not writing dark enough on the chalkboard. I guess that I was expecting different comments on my teaching style.

No comments: