Friday, February 2, 2007

Reflections after one month

Having been educated and teaching in private schools my entire life, it is hard to get used to classrooms that have 40-45 students. At times it is overwhelming. This seems to be the biggest obstacle to overcome since there is so much as a teacher that you need to monitor. You can not prevent all of the chit chat or some of the minor quarrels that some of the students get into. You also become swamped to grade student classwork and homework. I just hope as a teacher that I can connect with most of the students and engage them with the content.

It has also been a bit of a challenge since the school does not have the same resources that schools back home have (i.e. access to a copy machine, manipulatives for students to use, text books for all students, copies of teacher books or workbooks, etc.). Assessments here are very limited as well. Students are graded based off of their classwork, homework, and tests. There are not any projects, papers, creative homework assignments, or any informal assessments. At times if feels like I am teaching with my hands tied behind my back.

It is encouraging to know that many parents here to monitor their student's work by checking their homework every night. I would guess that about 60% of my students parents will check and sign their student' work. As in most cases, the parents who keep an eye on their student's work and performance see their children succeed.

I have been able to have students do types of work that most teachers do not have their students do. For example in math class I have students show of their work on the chalk board when usually only the teachers are allowed to work on the board. I have also done a bit of group work while many teachers give just give independent work for students to work on. Also many teachers will correct other student work while their students are working on classwork. This means that most teachers do not walk throughout the room assisting those students that are have trouble with the work. Further many teachers here seem to lecture without often engaging the students. I always try to ask as many questions as I can while teaching to allow for students to interact and make sense of the content.

All in all, I can not believe that I have taught for four weeks. The time has sure gone by fast.

No comments: