Tuesday, January 9, 2007

First day of teaching

Well...today was the students first day back to school (Jan. 9) so things were a little crazy and not much was taught in the two third grade classrooms that I observed. The music lesson and environmental studies classes that I observed were spent on reviewing material from before break which for the students started on Dec. 8.

The mornings start around 7:30 with an outdoor school assembly. This school Christ the King International is kindergarten through 8th grade. So each class lined up along side a basketball court near the school's dirt 'football' field. Assembly lasted around 30 minutes as the students prayed, listened to announcements, and sang the national anthem accompanied by a few drums.

This school is very different in terms of set up as a typical American school. The school is set up in a single story U shape with the administrative offices in the front and the rest of the classrooms following. Each classroom has about 40 - 45 students with one teacher. There appears to be a lot of downtime for students to either read a book or work on homework.

Today was personally a bit crazy. At the beginning of the day, the assistant principal still did not know which teachers I would be working with. Then after a while I was lead to one of the third grade classrooms where I discussed with the teacher what subjects I could teach. With moments of telling her that I could teach math, she had me teach a lesson on multiplication without any time to prepare. Later in the day I taught the same math lesson to the other third graders.

I do now have my schedule. I will be teaching math five days a week to both third grade classes and English three times a week to both classes. I am looking forward to the experience although U am not sure how long it is going to take me to learn the names of some 85 students, especially names that are hard to pronounce. We shall see how it goes.

No comments: